Officials encourage residents to be respectful of neighbors who may be sensitive to noise from fireworks. Before igniting fireworks as part of your holiday celebration on the Fourth of July or in the days before, notify your neighbors ahead of time so they can prepare for the noise. The following are recommendations to help people cope with noise during Independence Day celebrations:
• Recognize your triggers ahead of time. Talk with family and friends about how you might react or what is worrying you.
• Make a plan for coping with a reaction. Engage others who support you and communicate with them when you are beginning to feel uncomfortable.
• Use noise-canceling headphones or earplugs.
• Consider using alternatives to typical fireworks, such as sparklers.
Tips for Coping With Stress & Anxiety
• Take time for yourself. Practice yoga, listen to music, meditate, get a massage, or read. Stepping back from the problem helps clear your head.
• Eat well-balanced meals. Do not skip any meals. Do keep healthful, energy-boosting snacks on hand. Drink plenty of water.
• Limit alcohol and caffeine, which can aggravate anxiety and trigger panic attacks.
• Get enough sleep. When stressed, your body needs extra sleep and rest.
• Be physically active. Find an interesting activity or sport. Even short walks or dancing can help you feel good and maintain your health.
• Take deep breaths. Inhale and exhale slowly.
• Count to 10 slowly. Repeat, and count to 20 if necessary.
• Try some grounding techniques to connect you to the here and now. Focus on the details present in your surroundings or on neutral physical sensations. Count something that you notice, such as trees, people with hats, or floor tiles. Notice the colors that you see or the flavors that you taste.
• Talk to someone. Let others know when you are feeling overwhelmed and how they can help.
• Distract yourself. Use a personal device to listen to audiobooks, podcasts or music.
• Connect with others. Visit a peaceful place or attend a support group. Spend time with someone you trust.